Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Something Ironic...

First of all, I want to remind you that today is the last day to enter to win some fabulous boxes of books from my prize vault! Make sure you stop by this post and tell me all the Never Enough posts you've created or commented on by the end of today! I will be busy tabulating this week and will be back with some winners as soon as I can!

And I also wanted to tell you about something wonderfully ironic. I've mentioned this on my blog before, but Never Enough took me many years to write. Somewhere around eight years, I believe. I put it aside from time to time, often because I was unsure of how to fix issues with the plot. This book has been through the ringer as far as revisions go. In fact, the early drafts had Loann turning twelve in the first scene, and eighteen and in college by the last scene. (The version of the book that was published had the timeline condensed from six years, to just over six months!) Big, big changes.

One of the times I remember setting this book aside, though, had nothing to do with my plot problems. One time it was because Laurie Halse Anderson released her new book Wintergirls. Remember that one? It had the whole industry abuzz because of her brilliance and unconventional storytelling. I remember reading her book and thinking I'd never ever be able to write anything so deeply powerful. And because Wintergirls was centered around the same main issue as Never Enough, I decided my book was probably not worth trying to publish, because I suddenly felt it was so much less-than. It would pale in comparison next to a book like Laurie's.

Fast forward a few years, and as you know, I did go back to my novel, reworked it and reworked it. Sent it to my agent. Reworked it again. And finally sold it to Simon Pulse (and then reworked it three more times with my editor!) But I'm so so so happy that I didn't let this book go. That I didn't let that ugly monster "Comparison" take me out for good.

Fast forward again to the point where Never Enough is releasing into the wild and starting to get reviews. I have to share with you one of my absolute favorite reviews so far for Never Enough, and after the above story, you'll know why.

It starts off like this...

Recommended for Fans of Laurie Halse Anderson

In bold letters. Just like that.

GAH!!! Like, seriously. I'm still pinching myself! If you'd like to read the full review (which I'd love it if you did, because it's wonderful) it's up with a couple more fabulous reviews at YA Books Central.

Thank you, Christina. You totally made my life!

6 comments:

  1. That's fantastic, Denise! So cool to be "compared" to an icon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a better comparison for a YA Contemp author. Yay! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise,

    Thank you so incredibly much! I am so moved that you mentioned my review in here! Writing my reviews for myself makes me happy, but it so incredibly moving and meaningful to me when they make someone else's day!

    *hugs and squeezes*

    I look forward to reading the short stories and your first novel, as well as all of the completely mind-blowing stuff I'm sure you have in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!! That's so cool! *scurries off to read review*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magnificent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're just too fantastic.
    I actually like what you've acquired here, really like what you're saying and the way
    in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart.

    I can't wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful site.

    My page ... weight management

    ReplyDelete